There was a woman in the church

Jo

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
My HAC days are long behind me, but every once in a great while, a memory will come through. This morning, I woke up and thought about the phrase, "There was a woman in the church."

Mrs. Evans often used the phrase, "there was a woman in the church." Usually what followed was the recounting of a woman in one of the IFB churches who was a gossip and destroyed the entire church. I don't remember any of the stories being about a good situation, but it has been a while......

I'm wondering if anyone has a GOOD story about a woman in the church.

Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat. But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor. When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me. For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always. For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial. Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.

Okay, now for a story more in the proper vein of the spirit found in the OP...

There was a mother and adult daughter saved in our church over 20 years ago. They were quiet and unassuming people, never daring to draw attention to themselves. They weren't the type to shout how many souls they'd brought to Jesus, or how much money they gave for this campaign or that one. But soon after their conversion it became apparent that they would often be behind the scenes supporting the work of the gospel. Our bus ministry frequently served the poorer section of our neighborhood, and we all know what that means in terms of the needs of those children served. They're often hungry, neglected, and poorly dressed. There was one little girl who clearly had special needs that, for lack of a more elegant way of saying it, was simply pitiful. Her clothes were tattered, nose runny, and she smelled of body odor. I grew up in a fairly rough and poor neighborhood, so I knew how the struggle was real, but I wasn't a Christian then. Now when you see those situations it pulls at your heart, and you can only do so much to make their situation better. As the toil of that field of ministry can be one that leads to sadness, or even despair, it's good to have brothers and sisters in Christ come alongside you to help shoulder that load. It was during and even more-so after her death, I found that mother mentioned in my first sentence, in all of her modesty and quietness, was one such stalwart supporters of that ministry. Though she never had much money herself, she regularly gave to that bus ministry. And every Easter that little pitiful girl that road our bus would find a new dress, courtesy of that anonymous giver (not anonymous to me, bless her heart!). I still fondly think of her to this day, as one who went about the business of the Lord without seeking fanfare or recognition....

some having compassion, making a difference.

Back